Last updated on September 13th, 2022
Hemp oil has been used for centuries in many cultures around the world. It has many beneficial uses, including as a dietary supplement, natural beauty product, and even as an alternative fuel source. When you combine hemp oil with beeswax, which is another common ingredient in many hemp products, you get a unique scent that is reminiscent of honey. The sweetness of the honey aroma combined with the scent of the hemp leaves creates a wonderful fragrance that can help calm one down or get energized too. If you’re interested in adding some natural scent to your home without using chemicals or artificial fragrances, then you may want to try making your own hemp candles instead. Hemp candles are clean burning and don’t emit any harmful volatile organic compounds (VOCs). They’re also much cheaper to make than most commercial varieties and require minimal equipment to create them. In this post, we’ll discuss the benefits of creating your own hemp wax candles at home and offer details on how to do it safely and inexpensively if you have access to raw materials such as organic waxes, oils, and resins.
What are the Benefits of Creating Your Own Hemp Candles?
- They’re eco-friendly: With fewer additives and chemicals in the wax and wick, there’s less pollution in the air. And because you’re burning only waxes, oils, and plant extracts, you’re also helping to reduce your carbon footprint and save on your utility bill as well.
- Natural: Most commercial fragranced candles are typically made from petroleum-based products. Even natural waxes and oils typically contain petroleum products such as paraffin wax and oils like petroleum distillates. These petroleum products are not natural and are actually foreign to the wax or oil and contribute to pollution and the carbon footprint of the candle.
- Economical: Making your own hemp wax candles doesn’t cost much to produce and may even save you money over commercial candles. If you compare the cost of buying a jar of fragranced candle wax with the cost of making your own, you may find that you can save money by making your own.
- Sustainable: Candles are just one of many products made from petroleum. Making your own hemp wax candles helps to make a sustainable product out of something that is actually harmful to our environment.
- Versatile: Hemp wax candles can have many different scents, depending on the ingredients you choose. Plus, they can be used as incense and scented votives. You can even create labels and marketing materials with hemp wax and hemp oil to increase brand awareness and market your business.
- Easy: Making your own hemp wax candles doesn’t require a lot of technical know-how or special tools. As long as you have basic tools and materials, you can start making your own hemp candles.
- Healthy: Lastly, a big benefit of making your own hemp candles is that they’re naturally healthy. Many commercial fragranced candles and scented items are full of harmful chemicals that can be harmful to your health.
How to Make a Hemp Candle
First, acquire all the ingredients you’ll need for your hemp wax candle. You can find these ingredients at bulkweedinbox.cc’s online cannabis dispensary. Next, you’ll need wax, a container for your candle, and a paper or cardboard wick. You can use meltable wax, but it’s easier to work with, as well as lighter. You can find wax made from hemp in many grocery stores or even at your local health food store. Once you have these ingredients, you can create your candle. You’ll first need to melt the wax, pouring it into a container or pot that can hold it. Next, you’ll want to add your hemp oil or plant extracts and beeswax. You can also add scent and colour to your candle if you want to add a creative touch to it. Once you have all your ingredients inside the container, you can use a heat gun or a lighter to heat up the wax. Make sure you don’t burn the candle though. It’s best to keep the heat level low, about 120 degrees until the wax has melted and the oils have been added.
Safety Tips for Making Your Own Candles
If you’re interested in making your own hemp candles, you may want to double-check their safety first. While making your own candles doesn’t pose many safety risks, there are precautions you should take to ensure they’re made safely. Here are some tips to help ensure that your hemp wax candles are safe to use:
- Don’t use or burn non-marijuana candles in areas where marijuana is illegal. This may be against local laws as well. Even if you don’t use marijuana, burning marijuana-derived products in your home may be illegal.
- Don’t burn candles near any flammable liquids, such as fuel, bug spray, cleaning products, or other combustible materials.
- Don’t use candles with open flames or containers that can catch fire. There are safer options like electric candles, lava lamps, and oil lamps that don’t pose the same risks.
- Keep candles away from pets and children. They can pose a serious burn or poison risk if they accidentally get into their mouths.
- Make sure your wax is clean, free of impurities, and melted before pouring it into a container. If it is not, it could catch fire and cause serious damage.
- When storing your candle, make sure they’re stored in a cool, dry place away from any flammable substances.
Equipment Needed for Hemp Candle Making
- A pot for melting your waxes, such as a melting pot or double boiler – A jar for storing your melted waxes
- A heat source to melt your wax
- A wire screen to strain your melted wax from your waxes (optional)
- A strainer or fine-mesh sieve to strain your wax from your plant materials (optional)
- A thermometer to monitor the temperature in your wax pot and keep it within reasonable temperature ranges.
- A fine-mesh strainer to strain your oil from your plant materials (optional)
- A paper or cardboard wick to burn in your candle (optional)
- A label or tags to create a label for your candle (optional)
How Long Does a Hemp Wax Candle Burn?
Depending on the wax, oil, and wick you choose, a hemp wax candle can burn between 3 and 5 hours. You can also make long-burning scented candles, with some lasting up to 12 hours. If your wax burns too quickly, you can hold it under hot water to slow it down. However, you shouldn’t put your candle in water, as this could damage it and cause it to burn too fast. If your wax burns too slowly, you can gently blow it out and start a new one. You can also try adding more wicks to increase the burn rate.
Wrapping it Up
Hemp is a renewable resource that grows easily and can flourish in many environments. Growing hemp can be beneficial to the environment, as it uses fewer pesticides and requires less water and space than other crops. Hemp is also advantageous because it can be used as a replacement for many harmful products, such as oil. Hemp oil has many beneficial uses, including as a dietary supplement and natural beauty product. When you combine hemp oil with beeswax, which is another common ingredient in many hemp products, you get a unique scent that is reminiscent of honey. The sweetness of the honey aroma combined with the scent of the hemp leaves creates a wonderful fragrance that can help calm one down or get energized too. If you’re interested in adding some natural scent to your home without using chemicals or artificial fragrances, then you may want to try making your own hemp wax candles instead. Hemp wax candles are clean burning and don’t emit any harmful volatile organic compounds (VOCs). They’re also much cheaper to make than most commercial varieties and require minimal equipment to create them.
The Upside – What’s the Point of CBD Candles? – https://www.vitacost.com/blog/benefits-of-cbd-candles/#:~:text=Beyond%20the%20charm%20and%20warmth,with%20sleep%20issues%20like%20insomnia